Plymstock School Uniform
The wearing of school uniform makes an important contribution to the tone and reputation of a school and is therefore compulsory for all students in Years 7 – 11. The Sixth Form are expected to dress in a manner appropriate to our working environment. It is recognised that senior students have more scope to be individual in their dress, as long as it is appropriate for the school environment. The school takes pride in the appearance of its students and we are grateful for the continued co-operation of parents in maintaining standards.
From September 2019 the uniform is:
- Blazer - Navy blue with school badge.
- Shirts/Blouses - Plain white only, not tailored/fitted.
- Jumper - Navy blue v neck jumper with school logo (not compulsory).
- Skirts - Plain dark grey NOT BLACK knee length school skirt. Lycra or tight fitting skirts should not be worn. Students who receive two skirt stickers will be required to wear trousers for the remainder of the school year.
- Trousers - Plain dark grey NOT BLACK tailored school or suit style trousers. They should not be tapered (getting thinner) or flared (widening) towards the ankle, skinny or fitted. They must NOT be casual jeans, cottons, leggings or jeggings.
- Shorts - Can be worn in the Summer Term ONLY. This applies to all students and is not gender-specific or compulsory. As a clarification of what would be acceptable please follow this link: https://schooluniform247.co.uk/Sturdy-Fit-School-Shorts-4-16-yrs Please note - we are not endorsing the company in any way, it is purely referred to for illustrative purposes. Shorts must be plain dark grey, tailored formal school shorts (the same material as school trousers) and no shorter than 2.5cm above the knee. The following is NOT permitted: Skin tight/skinny fit, cargo, sportswear, PE, jean, cord, lycra or jersey shorts.
- Socks - Plain dark grey, black or navy only. No white socks.
- Tights - Plain black, navy or natural colour only. No long socks instead of tights.
- Ties - Clip-on school tie. No modifications are permitted (i.e. if stripes have been pulled out or coloured in the tie must be replaced).
- Shoes - Plain black wholly leather/leather-like school shoes only. Trainers, canvas shoes, flip-flops, sandals, “dolly” shoes or shoes with coloured borders/canvas panels are not allowed.
- Coats - Plain navy or black only. Coloured/patterned/leather/denim coats, hoodies, cardigans or non-school jumpers are not permitted. No grey coats.
- Scarves - Plain navy blue or black only. No grey or plaid scarves.
- Belts - Plain navy blue or black only. Studded/flowery belts are not permitted.
- Hair - No extreme fashion e.g. unnatural colours, partially or fully shaved heads, nothing less than a grade 2.
- Nails & Hands - Nail varnish/shellac/extensions of any kind are not permitted. Henna tattoos are not permitted.
- Make up - Make up is not allowed in Years 7 to 9. Students in Years 10 and 11 may wear light natural makeup. Students who wear excessive makeup will be required to remove it.
- Piercings - The ONLY earrings permitted are a pair of plain studs or sleepers worn in the lower earlobe. Ear stretchers, spikes, transparent studs or plugs are not permitted under any circumstances, including if the piercing has been done recently and has not healed. No piercings are allowed in other parts of the body, e.g. the eyebrow, nose, upper/middle ear or tongue, ear stretchers. Failure to remove a non-regulation piercing will result in sanctions. The excuse that it is a new piercing and cannot be removed is not acceptable. If your child does have a non-regulation piercing it must be healed and removed by the beginning of the school term.
- Jewellery and Rings: Must NOT be worn. General jewellery and rings must not be worn. Watches are permitted but the school accepts no responsibility in the event of loss or damage.
Sports and PE Kit
APTUS Rugby Shirt
APTUS Rugby Short
Appropriate trainers (not fashion shoes)
APTUS Training Pants
Orion Ladies Polo
Orion Leggings or APTUS Training Pants
Appropriate trainers (not fashion shoes)
**All jewellery must be removed for PE. Students who are planning on having their ears pierced should do this at the start of the summer holidays to ensure they have sufficient time to heal.
Gum shields are strongly advised for hockey and rugby and shin pads are compulsory for football and strongly advised for hockey
PLEASE REMEMBER TO NAME ALL ITEMS OF SCHOOL UNIFORM
No note policy
Departmental policy acknowledges that a note from home to be excused from Physical Education is adequate. If your child cannot take part in the physical aspect of the lesson for any reason it is important that they still bring appropriate PE clothing as they will be participating at some level such as coaching, officiating or analysing and evaluating performance. In exceptional circumstances where the physical challenge of changing may present difficulties please let your child’s PE teacher know by letter with an indication of how long this situation is likely to last.
COVID-19 PE KIT CHANGES
Students will not be permitted to use the changing rooms. All students will be required to wear their PE kit to school on days that they have PE. Students who do not have a Plymstock School branded top, bottoms or hoody may wear a plain navy or black jumper and plain navy or black tracksuit bottoms to school in order to keep warm. Only small, unobtrusive logos are permitted. Non-branded items must not be worn for the duration of PE lesson.
In order to comply with safeguarding guidance— if a student does not have a branded top or hoody, they must also wear their school blazer on top of their kit so that they are clearly identifiable as a Plymstock School student at all times outside of their PE lesson.