Safeguarding Advice (Students)
All students at Plymstock School have the right to feel safe both in and out of school. If you feel unsafe or are concerned about the safety of another student it is important you know where to go and who to talk to. At Plymstock School there are a wide number of staff that you can talk to that include (locations in brackets):
- Your Tutor (your Tutor room)
- Your Head of Year (the Student Support Hub)
- One of your class Teachers (your teacher’s classroom)
- One of your Teaching Assistants (in class or in the SEN area)
- Any adult in the school
Each year group has an Assistant Head of Year that deals with student concerns who are available during the day for you to talk to. They can be found in the Student Support Hub along with the Heads of Year.
There may be times where the situation you, or a friend is in, is deemed to be very serious. This can include incidents such as:
- Neglect – a child’s basic needs are not being met
- Physical abuse – violence
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Substance abuse
- Someone is promoting extreme religious or far right views
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
- Someone is taking advantage of young person sexually (known as Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE))
In the event of a serious situation, such as those listed above, please discuss with a member of staff that you trust and they will refer you to a Child Protection trained member of staff. Alternatively you can approach a member of the Child Protection staff directly.
There are a number of Child Protection staff at Plymstock School
- Heads of Year and Assistant Heads of Year.
- Mrs Walton – Designated Safeguarding Lead (Office Opposite TE06)
- Mr Sprenkel – Deputy Headteacher (Office on Science corridor nr. Conference Room)
- Mr Pearsall – Headteacher (Office on Stairs leading to SC05)
- Mrs Smith – Assistant Head of Year (The Hub)
- Miss Holton – Assistant Head of Year (The Hub)
- Mrs Harris – Head of Year (The Hub)
- Miss Offer- Assistant Head of Year (The Hub)
- Mrs Summers – SENCO (The DEN)
- Mrs Littler – Assistant Head of Sixth Form (Office in the Sixth Form Building)
Please be assured that any concerns you raise will be taken seriously by staff at the school and we will try our best to help you.
Children’s Services: 01752 668000 or if in doubt dial 999
NSPCC: 0808 800 5000