Plymstock Modern Foreign Languages Department
The MFL is a thriving and committed department, fully staffed with 7 full-time and 1 part-time specialist MFL teachers. We offer a policy of ‘Languages for All’ from Year 7 through to GCSE. In Year 7, students learn French. We build on the languages skills learnt at KS2.
In Year 8, all students continue with French and more able students are given the opportunity to begin German. Then in Year 9, dual linguists can choose to continue both or study one language. In Years 10 and 11, for GCSE, students are encouraged to continue with their language studies. GCSE Spanish from scratch is also usually offered. At KS5 French, German and Spanish are offered to A level via consortium arrangements.
- KS4 Language Leaders, alongside staff, plan a series of events for our younger students over the year.
- Opportunities via Network for Languages and the various Embassies (eg Year 10 taster day at Plymouth University; master classes)
- Our students run taster sessions for primary pupils as part of the WeST MFL network.
We run a full programme of trips, usually including:
- Year 8-13 German Christmas Markets weekend and partner school visit
- Year 7 Activity long weekend visit to Château Beaumont in Normandy
- Residential to the Moselle Valley, Germany (part of Challenge week)
- Residential to Paris: cultural visits and theme parks (part of Challenge week)
- Berlin (Years 12/13)
- Brittany (Years 12/13)